“Learn the story behind the Sta.Cruz Church… “
One of the oldest churches in Manila is the Sta. Cruz Church. It was built in 1608 by the Jesuits Missionary or also known as the Society of Jesus. The church is located in Plaza Santa Cruz Manila specifically at the southeastern end of Ongpin Street. The Sta. Cruz church was erected to minister the increasing population of Chinese Christian converts.
The first structure of the church was damaged by two earthquakes leaving serious cracks and notable effects. It has undergone several reconstructions and repairs. But during the World War II, the church was totally destroyed. A reconstruction project was carried out and completed in 1957 on the same site. Its architecture design is a mixture of Baroque ornamentation (Asian-Hispanic combination) and a reminiscent of the Spanish Mission churches built in Southern California. The Sta. Cruz church facade has an effigy statue of Our Lady of the Pillars, who is considered as the church’s patroness.
Every second week of October, the parishioners celebrate the annual feast of Sta. Cruz parish church. Many tourists visit the place during this time to take part in the celebration.