Rated 1/5 based on 7269 customer reviews

Our Lady of Remedios Parish Church

Attraction type: Churches
Address: 2000 MH del Pilar, Malate, Manila
Phone: +63 (2) 400 5876
Fax: +63 (2) 524-6866
Email: contact@malatecatholicchurch.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malate_Church

“What makes the Malate Church a precious possession? …. “

Also known as the Malate Church, the Our Lady of Remedious Parish Church is a famous catholic church in Manila.

The Agustinian friars that reached the village of Malate in 1588 decided to build a church in honor of Nuestra Senora de los Remedios. In 1591, the stone church and convent was built but heavy earthquakes in 1645 and 1863. In 1667, Governor General Manrique de Lara ordered for both buildings to be pulled down for fear of expansion by the pirate Koxinga. The Sino corsair died in Taiwan before the invasion and the church was rebuilt with the same stones and bricks.

The British landed in Manila in 1762 and made the church their headquarters. There were repairs made after the British left the following year. In 1868 a typhoon hit that destroyed the church and convent beyond repair. The present church was rebuilt for the third time through then parish priest Fr. Francisco Cuadrado. He toured cities and nearby provinces with poor fishermen to raise the needed funds. Three decades later, the façade of the church was completed.

When the Japanese occupation came, it provided to be disastrous as both church and convent were burned and nothing but the walls was left standing. The Columban fathers rebuilt the main altar, roof, dome and transept of the church around 1950. Finally in 1978, the interior was painted and the stones and bricks outside were made to look new. The bell at the entrance of the convent bears an inscription stating that the church was founded on the 30th of January, 1879.

The façade of the church of Malate is a blend of baroque and Muslim architecture with the solid compact stone structure enhanced by cylindrical end buttresses. There are few openings to the church but it is enhanced with ornate designs. The three-story façade shows a good use of cylindrical end buttresses and hexagonal forms that is converted into belfries.